History of St. Ann Catholic Church
Compiled by the St. Ann Catholic Church Centennial Committee, current photographs by Greg Goldschmidt Jr & Dan Pater. Information in this document covers events from 1909 - 2009.
When Father Francis Varelmann, pastor of St. Joseph Church from 1888 to 1896, was transferred to Norwood, he was succeeded by Father John Henry (1857-1913)2. Under this priest’s energetic leadership – he paid particular and almost scrupulous attention to the quality of the liturgical music – that parish flourished and grew. Demographically, the Hamilton population also developed and tended to shift South to Lindenwald. The thoroughfare from this region to St. Joseph was Mt. Pleasant Pike, an unpaved road that in wet weather often became impassable, making it difficult to get to church, some two miles away. Even walking this distance was a challenge, since there were no sidewalks.
Thus it became clear that a new parish would be needed to serve these faithful. A number of informal meetings were held in various Catholic homes. The first, on an unknown date, was held in the Eckert home of Laurel Avenue. Questions dealt with were: How many Catholic families lived in Lindenwald? What was necessary to start a new parish? Father Holthaus gave his counsel and assistance to this group, which formally met October 6, 1907 at the home of Mrs. Palidia Ruhl on the corner of Van Hook and Fairview Avenues to discuss the possibility of this new parish for the people of Lindenwald. After some discussion, a resolution was passed that Father Holthaus lay the matter before the Archbishop of Cincinnati, the Most Reverend Henry J. Moeller. Archbishop Moeller discussed the matter carefully with Fr. Holthaus and a committee was appointed to look over the situation, ways and means of the project and report back to him. The findings were favorably received and the request was granted to begin St. Ann as a mission of St. Joseph Parish. Father Holthaus rented a property on Hooven Avenue, also owned by the Ruhls3, converted it into a temporary church, and offered the first Mass there on July 26, 1908, the feast of St. Anne.
Father Holthaus remained in charge of St. Ann until August of 1909, when it became a parish, and Father Herman N. Santen (1871-1914) was appointed the first resident pastor on August 30, 1909. Father Santen took up his assignment on September 15, 1909, and performed his first parochial duties as pastor on September 17 with the first Mass said in the Ruhl home. On the same date, for the first time in the Parish, there were baptisms, namely, of Robert L. Hinkel (son of L. Hinkel, Sr. and Marcella née Dunigan) and Paul Walter Blume (son of Christian Blume and Catherine née Ruhl). The Parish received its first check two days later. Father Santen’s first plans were for a school, and so the Ruhl home was arranged to fit the need: one side was now used as a school, the other as a church, while the upstairs served as a living quarters for the pastor. On September 20, 1909, the school opened with 46 children in five grades with two lay teachers (Miss Helen Breede and Miss Bessie Finan) in charge of the classes. During the winter months Father Santen took a census and found thirty-six Catholic families who attended Saint Ann Church. These were the nucleus of the new parish. On March 19, 1910, the Parish had its first wedding, that of Frederick Schliesman and Catherin Zwiefelhoefer.
Fr. Holthaus had purchased 5 lots on Pleasant and Hooven Avenues – the present site of the Parish, of course, and on April 4, 1910 work was begun on the combination church and school – the present site of St. Ann School - when the first shovel of earth was turned by Fr. Santen. In fact, a lot of the work was done personally by Father Santen. Parishioners and the Pastor himself participated in the use of horse-drawn wagons to haul earth from the foundation of the new basement church.
Many other “firsts” happened in 1910, the first full year of the parish, notably: the First Communion Class of 4 boys and 4 girls received the Holy Eucharist on April 24; Margaret Schmidt the first St. Ann parishioner to pass away, expired on October 17, at 85 years, 6 months, and 4 days of age.
Work on the new church had progressed far enough that on Christmas Day, 1910, Mass was celebrated in the basement church for the first time. (This same basement, remodeled in 1929 at the cost of $3,324.19, was still serving as the parish church on the Parish’s 25th anniversary and until Christmas 1937.)
On June 22, 1911 this combination building was dedicated by Archbishop Henry Moeller, D.D. When the structure was finished, Father Santen secured 3 sisters from Oldenburg to be in charge of the school, who arrived on September 11, 1911. They were Sr. Evangelista, Sr. Mary Christophora and another, as of yet unidentified4. The hardships of the school were many and great. One of the sisters died the following Spring. The first mission was held by the Redemptorist Fathers in the month of February 1912 and several months later, on May 15, 1912, Archbishop Moeller confirmed 52 boys and 55 girls.
Father Santen, inclined to tuberculosis from childhood, never enjoyed a rugged constitution. During the work of organizing a new parish and the work on the new combination building, he suffered a breakdown in the Spring of 1911. He recovered somewhat during the summer and began to say Mass again. This continued for only a few weeks when he had to give up again. In his weakened condition he tried to carry on. Thus, in the Spring of 1912 he began the construction of the new Saint Ann Rectory. Pleased with his new home, he moved into it in November of the same year. But his contentment was of short duration, for he became ill again, and never recovered. He died on March 18, 1914.
Nearly three months later, Father Albert J. Van Den Bosch (1875-1937), pastor of Saint John Church, Tipp City5 and its missions of Bradford and Saint Paris, was appointed Pastor of Saint Ann Church on June 1, 1914. He continued the work accomplished to this point by Father Santen. Having finished the new church and rectory at Tipp City - all paid for except two thousand dollars—this appointment was difficult for him, for St. Ann was in serious debt. But on July 1, 1914, with a heavy heart, Father Van, as he was generally known, left his new church and rectory there to take up his new duties in Hamilton.
Also in 1914, an entire new staff of teachers, with Sister Mary De Sales in charge as Superior, arrived. Five Sisters now, instead of three, were attached to Saint Ann School. The enrollment now reached one hundred and fifty. All eight grades were taught from this time on.
One of Fr. Van Den Bosch’s first great challenges was financial. During Fr. Santen’s two years of sickness the building debt had grown, so much so that the Archbishop expressed a doubt whether the new parish would ever be able to pay or not. The interest was two years in arrears. The debt was almost three hundred and fifty dollars per family.
The reorganization of the parish was also necessary. During Fr. Santen’s illness, administration had been neglected. A new census was therefore considered of great importance, which found there were one hundred Catholic families in the territory assigned to Saint Ann. Many of these had never attended Saint Ann Church and quite a few had never gone to church at all for years. The next step was to deal with the parish school. The goal was to draw in students, even from a distance in spite of the fact that many parents did not understand the importance of a Catholic parochial school or were unsympathetic to it.
Part of Fr. Van Den Bosch’s plan was to hold a mission in 1915. While this brought quite a few members back to church again, the results of this mission were not up to expectations. So, another was held the following year. By this time things began to look more encouraging. As a result of the census and reorganization, Fr. Van Den Bosch brought many people back to the church, and the children came to the school in larger numbers. The following year, in fact, Mary Toerner was the first girl from the parish to enter the convent on July 30, 1916. On August 18, 1918 the first Silver Wedding anniversary was celebrated in the Parish by Mr. and Mrs. Vincent Federle, Sr.
As the school began to grow, it was necessary to open another school room. This expansion entailed new living quarters for the sisters, who up to this time were residing in the school building itself.
With careful planning and growing parish population, the old debt began to diminish. Additional ground had to be secured, as the present ones were inadequate. Four more lots were purchased in 1920 and the erection of the Sisters' Convent began in 1921. In a plan devised by Father Van Den Bosch, all wage earners were asked to give one cent out of every dollar that they earned in order to pay for the new Sisters' House. This initiative was taken up so enthusiastically by the people of the parish that the building, which was erected at a cost of thirty thousand dollars, was completed without debt.
During the next few years a number of undertakings were accomplished and paid for as work progressed. Central Catholic High School for Boys (“Hamilton Catholic”) was built in 1923. St. Ann's portion was $12,600, according to the 1923 Financial Report. The same year about $1000 was spent to make some necessary changes to the school building. The following year the Rectory was remodeled and an addition to the building made at a total cost of twelve thousand dollars. All the bills were paid as the work progressed. Now the next thought was Father Van Den Bosch’s greatest project: a new church. In the meantime, the Parish continued to grow: St. Ann Church had its first vocation to the priesthood when Fr. Aloyisius Huber was ordained on May 29, 1926. Mr. and Mrs. John Johnson celebrated their Golden Wedding anniversary on February 21, 1928, the first at St. Ann.
It was also during this time that Fr. Van Den Bosch celebrated his Silver Jubilee to the priesthood, on June 22, 1930. He was the first pastor to do so. The work of the parish would also be passed onto succeeding generations as the founders began to pass. Mr. Charles Rohrkemper was the first trustee to die in office.
During Sister Mary De Sales’ time, new teachers were added as the need required until all eight class rooms were in use. The enrollment increased during her tenure of office from one hundred and fifty children in 1914 to three hundred and fifty-one in 1927, when she was transferred to the Mother House at Oldenburg, Indiana, and made Mistress of Novices.
Sister Agnetta Taylin, who had been teaching in Saint Ann School for the past fifteen years, was made the new Superior. The classes resumed that September with three hundred and ninety-four children. Every room was overcrowded. Thus a temporary room had to be opened in the gym building the following year. Another teacher was added to staff. In September 1928 the school opened again with four hundred and six children. Sister Agnetta remained in charge until the summer of 1932, when she was replaced by the present Superior Sister M. Aurelia. The largest number of pupils in any one year was four hundred and fifty-three6.
Having suffered under a crushing debt for so many years and having learned the lesson well, it was not thought advisable to undertake the erection of a new church until a fund for the purpose was sufficient, for it was desirable to have some assurance that there would be no unreasonable debt upon the parish at the completion of the work. So, Father Van Den Bosch began to collect the fund and, eventually, the first shovel of dirt was turned on June 5, 1936, and the cornerstone was laid August 23, 1936. Work progressed, but Father Van Den Bosch died on June 9, 1937 and never saw his project completed. Father Henry J. Lehman (1881-1944) became his successor on July 1, 1937 and the task fell to him of completing the church, which was used for the first time on Christmas Day, 1937. Auxiliary Bishop George J. Rehring7 consecrated the altar on May 21, 1938, and church itself was dedicated the next day by Archbishop McNicholas.
The true St. Ann Parish is made up of her portion of the People of God. The parishioners at that time made many sacrifices for the new church and so it might be interesting to look briefly at the artistic legacy that they have left for us today. The decoration of the new church building was entrusted to various individuals and their companies. Our primary source for such information is found in the “New Church Account 1937-1938” ledger used by Fr. Lehman during the construction of the church, and which has recently been rediscovered. The church structure, of Indiana Limestone, was designed by Edward J. Schulte (1890-1975), a noted Cincinnati architect responsible for the construction or renovation of many churches of the Archdiocese, including St. Monica, Guardian Angels, as well as remodeling of the Cathedral of St. Peter in Chains. The style of St. Ann Church may be explained by some of his ideas: he attempted to avoid the usual “Protestant Gothic” or “Colonial Revival” modes, and instead devised streamlined versions of a variety of earlier medieval and even slightly exotic styles and models, often simultaneously suggesting an Art Deco or modern flavor8. The actual construction of the church was entrusted to Edward Honnert, a general contractor based in Mt. Healthy.
The impressive sanctuary woodwork, especially that of the altar back (“rererdos”), organ screens and side chapels, was commissioned from the E. Hackner Altar Company of LaCrosse, Wisconsin, founded by Egid Hackner. This artist was Bavarian by birth, a graduate of the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Munich. The Hackner Altar Co. was run by his children until 1967 and shipped altars and woodwork all over the Midwest.
The unique stained glass windows were executed by the Emil Frei Glass Company, founded by Emil Frei, Sr. (1869-1942). He is known to have produced numerous works for many churches and wealthy families (including Anhauser Busch). E. Frie, Sr. was also born in Bavaria and studied at the Munich Academy of Art. He emigrated to New York to avoid military service with Germany. He moved to San Franscisco and became a mural painter. In 1898 he was invited to St. Louis to undertake the design and execution of stained glass for a large church. Emil Frei Art Glass Co. specialized in Munich antique glass figured style windows. The firm, continued by Emil, Jr., is still operated in St. Louis by the grandson Robert (80 years old), who works even today as a designer, and great-grandson, Stephen. The “art deco” style of the windows may possibly be explained by his collaboration with the architect Schulte, but this is hypothetical and subject to further research. In any event, the present officials of the company have said that the tendency to use predominant shades of blue, grey and pale green was a stylistic signature of the Emil Frei firm in those years.9
The Stations of the Cross were carved into one-inch thick slabs of Indiana Limestone by Carolyn Zimmermann (1903-1999), some of whose local work also includes a mosaic crucifix and a bronze and enamel screen for Nativity Church in Cincinnati.10 The cost of the Stations, registered in the ledger on March 12, 1938, was $2500.00. The new church account ledger also mentions paying a certain otherwise unidentified artist Zimmerman, for the “painting in the sanctuary”. This could indicate some or all of the painting which includes the hand of God under the canopy of the rererdos, and the Apostle’s Creed on the sanctuary ceiling. Sometime later, the same artist was paid for the side chapel paintings of Mary with Jesus and St. Ann with Mary. The artist in question was probably J. Carl Zimmerman (1900-1985), noted painter and muralist, and husband of Carolyn. His murals include work at the Cathedral of St. Monica, Cincinnati, Saints Peter and Paul’s Church, Norwood, Ohio. The husband and wife would often work together as an artistic team inside the same churches, Carolyn doing the sculpting and Carl the painting. Archdiocesan commissions of this type were vital to their livelihood during the Great Depression.
The high altar candlesticks and many of the moveable furnishings were from Benziger Church Supply. The tower bells were from the E.W. Vanduzen Co. of Cincinnati (formerly the Butler Bell Foundry). The bell ringers were supplied by Verdin, also of Cincinnati, which would eventually acquire the assets of Vanduzen. The glass in the church doors was supplied by G.C. Riordan, today the Beau Verre Riordan Co. of Middletown.
The large statues of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and of St. Joseph in the north and south transepts were also acquired from Benziger Church Supplies.
The light fixtures, communion rail and (brass) hinges were provided by an otherwise unspecified and unidentified company called Metalcrafts. The pews came from the Josephinum Church Furniture Co. (founded in 1877 by Fr. John Jessing of Columbus to help orphan boys). The memorial plaque to Fr. Van Den Bosch in the vestibule was made (or paid for) in December 28, 1937. Some old pictures of St. Ann School show the bell tower that was erected there, since the building also served as a church. With the construction of the new church, that structure was removed in 193811.
During Fr. Lehman’s tenure, Fr. Joseph V. Urbain (+2006), his Assistant from 1938, was sent in 1939 to form St. Lawrence Mission in New Miami and in 1941 to found the new Millville parish, Queen of Peace12.
When Father Lehman was himself transferred in 1941, Father William C. Welch (1881-1955) became the pastor of St. Ann Parish and, under his administration, the addition to the school was completed and was ready for use in September of 1951. Four new classrooms, office space, the cafeteria and 2 new meeting rooms were added. [PG:He was made Monsignor (Chaplain of His Holiness) Sept 20, 1948 and Right Reverend Mons. (Domestic Prelate) in Feb 6, 1951. Note Obituary of Mons. Welch, Hamilton Journal, August 12, 1955].
Monsignor Welch died on August 12, 1955 and on November 12, 1955, Father Basil A. Haneberg (1900-1984) was appointed Pastor. Father Haneberg also received the honorary title of Monsignor (Domestic Prelate) as Dean of the Hamilton deanery. Not long after his arrival he was directed by the Archbishop to find land for establishing a new parish in Fairfield. In 1957, Father
Hugo Mentink (1913-1983), who was the Assistant Pastor at St. Ann’s from 1951, became the first pastor of the newly formed Sacred Heart Parish.
On February 2, 1958, the Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes, was dedicated by Bishop Clarence G. Issenmann13, a son of the parish, at that time Bishop of Columbus and later Bishop of Cleveland.
As with the Church in general, many changes took place between the 50th and 75th anniversaries of the Parish. Following the Second Vatican Ecumenical Council (Vatican II), the changes most tangible on a parish level were liturgical. Monsignor Haneberg and his associates said Mass at St. Ann as it was gradually translated from Latin into English. An altar was placed in the sanctuary that enabled the priest to face the people. Eventually, folk-style (“guitar”) Masses became a part of the liturgy, alongside the more traditional music directed by Julius Kollstedt, who was the St. Ann music director for many years. After Julius Kolstedt retired in October 1996, he was succeeded by Kathy Prough. Virginia Cooney also took over for for a short time until September 2001, when this ministry was assumed by Rick Crone, who presently serves in these capacities.
Mons. Haneberg served the parish through these challenging years. He was assisted in his parish duties by many priests during his long tenure. We especially remember Fathers Joseph Heskamp (+1998), Paul Rehling (resident at St William Parish in Cincinnati), Kenneth Baker (presently Pastor at St Paul Church in Englewood, Alfred J. Powers (+2007). One in particular sad event remains in the minds of some of our older parishioners: On September 13, 1970, Father Richard Donovan, a much beloved associate pastor, died suddenly. His visitation and solemn funeral filled the church over capacity and were testimonies to the affection of the Parish.
In response to the Second Vatican Ecumenical Council (“Vatican II”, 1962-65), the Archdiocese of Cincinnati held its sixth Archdiocesan Synod. In the spirit of greater lay involvement in the Church, much of the St. Ann Parish participated for months in discussions of matters such as Jewish-Catholic relations (in reference to the Vatican’s Nostra Aetate), ecumenical relations with other branches of Christianity (Unitatis Redintegratio), liturgical changes (Sacrosanctum Concilium), the Scriptures (Dei Verbum) and nature of the the role of the laity itself (Apostolicam Actuositatem and passim) and the Church’s relationship to the secular world (Gaudium et Spes) Much of the life of the Parish, even today, is still guided by these principles and policies. For example, one key shift occurred in 1971, when Archbishop Paul Leibold implemented a request by the archdiocesan synod that allowed individuals to choose their parish regardless of geographical boundaries, which had heretofore been a binding criterion for parish membership. Other topics were education, leadership, finance, etc.
Other activities flourished. Block and neighborhood recitation of the Holy Rosary was quite common at this time. Parish Organizations would eventually evolve under successive pastors, such as Parish Council, the Board of Education, and the Interest Group. This last group contributed socially and financially to the Parish, especially the School, by various activities such as Christmas Walk and special transportation to specialized arts and crafts workshops set up in parishioners’ homes.
Father Haneberg was intensely interested in the work of St. Ann School and steered it through many issues, including of school busing. He retired from St. Ann in 1971. He continued to live in Hamilton until he passed away on June 11, 1984, just before the celebration of his 60th year as a priest.
His successor, Father Eugene A. Gallagher (1913-1992), was then appointed pastor. He is remembered as a holy priest who had made many converts in the Black community in Cincinnati before arriving at St. Ann. He helped renew the parish with information from a new census he undertook, when seminarians and volunteers went door-to-door inviting new commitment and involvement at St. Ann. He cared for his mother, who lived to be 100 years old, in the rectory, did much of his own shopping and contributed much of his stipend back to the church. He served St. Ann Parish until his retirement in November 1977. He continued to reside in Hamilton and was of service to a number of parishes, and most especially St. Mary’s.
Father Paul Bader, who had served as associate with Father Gallagher and took charge during Father Gallagher’s illness, was appointed pastor in 1977. During Fr. Bader’s service here he made many improvements to the church. The sandstone walls of the church were cleaned, both inside and outside, and new boilers were put in place. A new roof was installed on the school replacing one that had many leaks, and a wheelchair ramp was added to the church so persons with disabilites could gain access. While he was pastor, the Parish participated in the Christ Renews His Parish renewal program. One result was the various prayer groups which met for quite a few years. He is remembered by many for his casual friendly personality in the Parish, the School, festivals and in the neighborhood. While he was here Fr. David Lucas (+2002) was an Associate and Fr. Jeff Silver, currently serving as pastor at St. Mary in Oxford, was also in residence.
There were other activities which were part of St. Ann Parish life, such as the Christian Family Movement, which was held in various homes and fostered discussion and support of family life.
The Church renewed its Permanent Deacon Program and on July 28, 1979, Mark Brunner of St. Ann’s was ordained a Permanent Deacon. His involvement in parish work proved invaluable to the parish and pastor until his retirement to Schroeder Manor, where he continued to serve the Church up to his passing on February 16, 2006.
The old convent, built in 1921, was torn down (enlarging the parking area) and a new one built on the lot next door for the Franciscan Sisters of Oldenburg. With the shortage of vocations our friends and neighbors, the Sisters of Notre Dame moved in on June 18, 1984, along with the two sisters of Oldenburg who still lived there. This building now serves as the parish office and meeting center.
Fr. Bader was transferred in 1986 and was succeeded by Fr. Robert Mauntel (ordained in 1949). He had been ready to retire but, in obedience to the Archbishop, gave 6 more years of priestly ministry to our Parish. During Fr. Mauntel’s tenure at St. Ann Parish the physical plant continued to be upgraded. The rectory was remodeled to make the office area separate from the living area of the pastor. The church roof was replaced at this time and the stained glass windows were covered for protection by lexan14 to maintain their beauty. Fr. Mauntel also had the present vestibule restroom for handicap access installed in the rarely used confessional. In the school a new children’s library was built and the windows were replaced. It was also during these years that the baptismal font was moved from the vestibule to the right side of the altar in the sanctuary.
Fr. Mauntel remained the pastor until his retirement in June 1992 and was succeeded by Fr. Dennis Dettenwanger (ordained in 1964). Under Fr. Dennis, as he has been known, the physical plant continued to be upgraded. In the church the confessionals were renovated to accommodate the option for face-to-face celebration of the Sacrament of Penance. The wood around the altars in church was restored. The formerly flat roofs on the church were changed to prevent leaking. Also at this time considerable landscaping of the grounds around the Church took place, in which Fr. Dennis himself personally took part.
A principal aspect of the implementation of Vatican II was the greater direct involvement of the lay people in parish life, work, and liturgy. At St. Ann this was also true, where the laity have helped to lighten much of the non-sacramental work of the parish priest. The Parish Council, the Interest Group, and the Board of Education are organizations that have developed in school and parish over the last 50 years. The Parish has a fully employed secretary and business manager who takes care of the heavier administrative work that previously could be done by volunteers. Ellie Nartker, Madge Toerner, Trudy Kieborth, Phyllis Moeller and Susan McAbee have succeeded to that office, presently held by Geri Smith.
During Fr. Dettenwanger’s time of ministry he participated in the Archdiocesan pastoral internship for transitional deacons preparing for the priesthood. Pat Miller was hired as Pastoral Assistant, upon completing the Lay Pastoral Ministry program at the Athenaeum of Ohio. She served by advising the pastor and helping initiate new programs. Bingo was used for a time to raise revenue which provided monies for many of the large projects undertaken in the parish, such as the cleaning of the church inside and outside, air-conditioning in the school. This revenue also paid off the debt on the sister’s convent, and helped with the installation of a new boiler system along with a great many other improvements.
Father Dettenwanger retired in 2007 and presently resides in Cincinnati. His successor and present pastor of St. Ann – and St Joseph - is Fr. Stephen J. Mondiek. He was born on October 30, 1955 in Dayton, Ohio and attended Corpus Christi Grammar School, Chaminade Julienne High School, University of Dayton (Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering) and University of Steubenville. He worked as a mechanical engineer for 17 years at various companies. He studied theology and philosophy at St. Mary’s of the West Seminary, where he graduated with a Masters of Divinity degree and was ordained May 24, 2003. Before coming to St. Ann he was Associate Pastor at St. Peter Church in Dayton.
Over the years, the debt to the Archdiocese had grown, even doubled. A new sense of financial urgency has lead to the need for thrift and creative thinking. One program that is helping lighten some of this difficulty is Gift Card Fund Raiser, whereby purchased gift-cards contribute a percentage back to the Parish.
Somebody coming back from earlier years would notice other changes. For example, the statue of St. Ann which seems to have first appeared (hand painted by Mr. and Mrs. Dick Roesch for the occasion) in procession and then a place of honor at the annual summer festival (renamed “Fiesta” by Fr. Gallagher in 1971) subsequently found its way to the former baptistery in the vestibule. Sr. Mary Kuhl (Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg) was the last kindergarten teacher and last religious – to present – to teach at St. Ann School. She still lives in the convent and is an active volunteer for St. Ann’s, both for the parish and school.
The St. Vincent De Paul Society continues, as it has for years, to be one of the extending hands of Parish generosity to the poor and needy. Other organizations continue St. Ann’s past heritage of involvement and service into the present, some quite venerable, such as the Rosary Society (originally founded as the All Souls Society), and others that are more recent, such as the Bereavement Ministry. Other organizations include the Pleasant Atheletic Club, the Church League Softball. Activities continue to include the Turkey Raffle, the Fish Fry and the New Year’s Dinner and Dance.
St. Ann Parish, as it enters a new century of pastoral ministry, rejoices in many graces, is grateful for many difficulties that have been met and overcome, and is determined in Faith, Hope and Charity to meet present and future challenges with the courage, determination and vision with which Almighty God has blessed her in her pastors and people since her founding.
1 This version of the St. Ann history is based on several documents, especially those published at the 25th, 50th and 75th anniversaries of the Parish. New material is based on personal memories shared with centennial committee members and also on some new research.
2 The variant Henry J. Holthaus, contained in previous histories of the Parish, seems inaccurate. Clerus Cincinnatensis; St. Joseph Church, Hamilton, Ohio: 1867-1992 Anniversary book, p. 5 of History: For the Harvest: 1867-1985.
3 This was the site presently occupied by Bob’s Café.
4 Mr. Pete Groh got this list of sisters who taught at St. Ann from the Mother House in Oldenberg.
5 Formerly known as Tippecanoe, and then Tippecanoe City, this town was renamed to Tipp City in 1938 because another one in Ohio was likewise named Tippecanoe.
6 It was noted at the 25th anniversary that school enrollment was four hundred and twenty-three. The staff was then composed of nine teachers, one teacher of music and two other Sisters who look after the needs of the Convent.
7 Bishop Rehring was later Bishop of Toledo from 1950 to 1962.
8 Tenoever , Rev. Donald A. Edward. J. Schulte and American Church Architecture of the Twentieth Century. (Master’s thesis, University of Cincinnati, 1974)
9 Some of this information is based on a telephone conversation with Stephen Frei April 10, 2009.
10 Catholic Telegraph for October 29,1999, pp. 28-29. New Church Account, entry for; Further information from the internet (especially that of Cincinnati Art Galleries, http://www.cincyart.com).
11 St. Ann New Church Account 1936-37, p. 27, for Oct. 7, 1938, chk no. 419.
12 Obituary of Fr. Urbain, Catholic Telegraph, Feb 10, 2006; also in Hamilton Journal, Feb 3, 2006.
13 Clarence G. Issenmann (30 May 1907-27 July 1982), 7th bishop of Cleveland, was born in Hamilton, Ohio, to Innocent and Amelia Stricker Issenmann. He studied at St. Joseph College in Rensselaer, Ind., and St. Gregory Seminary and Mt. St. Mary Seminary in Cincinnati; and was ordained on 29 June 1932. Issenmann received degrees from the University of Fribourg, Switzerland and the Angelicum, Rome. He was named to the staff of the Denver Register and acquired a journalism doctorate from the Register College of Journalism. In 1938 he became assistant editor of the Catholic Telegraph Register of Cincinnati; in 1942, professor of theology at Mt. St. Mary Seminary; in 1945, chancellor of the archdiocese; and in 1954, auxiliary bishop of Cincinnati. In 1958 he became bishop of Columbus, episcopal chairman of the Press Dept., and assistant chairman of the Dept. for Lay Organizations of the Natl. Catholic Welfare Conference in Washington. On 7 Oct. 1964, Issenmann was named coadjutor bishop of Cleveland for the ailing Archbishop Hoban, becoming Ordinary in 1966 when Hoban died. ( Source: online history of Cleveland [http://ech.cwru.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=ICG])
14 GE’s discovery of the polycarbonate that is trade named Lexan by chemist Dr. Daniel Fox occurred in 1953, while working on a wire coating, just one week after Dr. Hermann Schnell of Bayer in Germany had independently made the same discovery. Both teams were impressed by the remarkable toughness of the material.